Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 September 2011

I don’t care what you say: I am right!

There is a term that’s not too often used but practiced all the time – denominationalism. And NO, it’s not just a church thing. Although churches have split into ‘denominations’ over the past 2000 years; the term denominationalism is something practiced by almost everyone. The definition of the term goes something like this: If we agree, then we can have relationship. If we don’t agree, then we can’t be in relationship and hence, a split is formed and two denominations of people/groups are formed. Naturally, within the Christian church, many people have failed to agree on certain doctrines or beliefs and so splits occurred and different denominations were formed on the basis of people being in relationship with other people they agreed with.

This happens in friendships, businesses, companies, families, etc. Don’t fool yourself. You don’t have to be a Christian in order to practice denominationalism. Natural instinct is to hang out and share our lives with people with whom we’re in agreement with. Who wants to have a conflict of ideas? Which of us enjoy our values and beliefs challenged within our peer group? Not many.

I made friends with a guy who eventually told me in secret that he was gay. He’s had gay feelings from the time he was around 8 years old. He’s in his late thirties. He shared his story with me in one of the most open and honest ways I’ve ever experienced. He’s kissed men, he’s slept with men and he holds strongly to the belief that Jesus loves him. Really loves him.

Five years ago, my reaction would have been one of surprise, shock and avoidance. I would have smiled, left the table and really hoped I never bumped into him again while singing ‘Jesus loves me this I know’ while I climbed into my car. I would have resigned myself to the belief that because we don’t share the same values/beliefs on sexual orientation, then we cannot; we dare not hang out as I would be ‘compromising’ my own values.

I believe this is God’s idea of living: Being a people who are allowed to have a seriously different set of ideas, values and beliefs; but who are able to share their lives with each other, love each other, hang out together and not living with a secret agenda of trying to change the one another to conform to each other’s idea of what’s right.

Denomination is another word for division. Division is another word which means ‘broken relationship.’ That is so anti God it’s not funny.

It’s funny how Jesus sat at the same table and ate with hookers and thieves. He never tried to change them. He never alienated himself from them incase they’d ‘corrupt’ him. He drew them closer in fact. He healed them. He blessed them. He loved them.

I long for the day when Christ’s body will express Christ.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ross,

    The worst part about denominational is that it most often occurs on a subconscious level. Certainly some people seek out people who are only like themselves, but there are those who seek out associations because of the dissimilarity.

    However, each and every human being performs some form of discrimination at a subconscious level. The decision to walk on this side of your wife because of the guys on that side of the road. Avoidance of people who are fat / thin / ugly / too beautiful / to vapid / to nerdy / too something that doesn't sit well with the own perception of the self.

    It's mostly natural, but it is a sad observation of the human creature.

    Aside from that, I appreciate your tolerance of your gay friend. Not too many people are understanding of such things.

    - Dave (the Atheist)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. You are so right. Hectic hey. Just by the way, it's not just a tolerance with my friend but a genuine love. Love accepts people as they are without an agenda to make them like us. Do I condone a homosexual life style? No I don't. Do I condone a man stealing from work? No I don't. I thank God that he relates to us not on the basis of how good we are, but because Jesus was good.

    ReplyDelete