Total Pageviews

Monday 8 October 2012

Grace empowers living....not excuses it

I'm a Christian. I have been for 17 years now. I am passionate about Jesus. I love Him and revel in what He has done for me. I believe He holds the world on his little pinkie, he is all powerful and that he knows how each day of my life is going to unfold. I know that He loves me and I know that He has saved me from hell.

I believe that my sins have been washed away - completely. Past, present and future. All my sins were nailed and punished on the cross. I am seated in heavenly realms. When I die, I will go to heaven. I have been made perfect forever because of Jesus' finished work. God declares me NOT GUILTY because of Jesus' finished work. I have been 100% justified because of Jesus' finished work. I never have to worry about losing my salvation. Never. It's not mine to lose. It's His gift to me. Free. No cost needed. Obedience to commands could not have earned it. If my salvation depended on 99% God and 1% me, then my salvation would only be 99% - because I'd mess up every time. (Col 1:12-14; Romans 4:23-25; 6:23; Hebrews 10:11-12)

So far so good. At this point the 'Grace' believers are high fiving each other and screaming 'Amen brother, preach it!' I'm a believer. I believe in what Jesus has done and accomplished on my behalf. But also, as a believer, I'm also very aware that it doesn't stop there. WHAT?! No it doesn't. Doing nothing with the position that Christ has given us is quite selfish and against what Jesus command us. "Go into the world...."
The mandate is quite simple: I've made you a son, I've given you an inheritance, I have given you access to unlimited power, you have ME inside you - Go now....AND CHANGE THE WORLD....bring heaven's realities into this one!

Jesus is the foundation upon which I build. His finished work is the only thing I can build upon. (1 Cor 3:10-15)

Most often, in my 17 year experience, people are influenced by Christians because of what they do - not really but what they say. It surprises me the amount of people who call themselves Christians but allow such filth to come from their mouths, such greed in their business ethics and walk in such low levels of love and compassion towards people. It's no surprise that many people are turned off Jesus because of His 'followers'. Why would I stoop so low to allow such swearing and cussing to come out of my mouth when I know I am a child of the King? Why would I compromise my integrity when my Father owns everything?

Jesus has saved us. Done. The foundation is laid and nothing can take that gift away. But how we build upon that foundation is up to me and up to you. He has given us a place of eternal security, of fellowship, of forgiveness, of love and intimacy. Why would I use that position to compromise the way I live?

May we receive our Father's abundance of grace to enable and empower us to live lives worthy of calling ourselves Christians. Our God has qualified us! Why do we live lives that make us look disqualified??




No comments:

Post a Comment